Jennifer Lopez Just Served Up the Ultimate Fashion #TBT

Jennifer Lopez has come a long way since she was Jenny from the Block, not least of all in her fashion sense. These days, her wardrobe is more polished than streetwise, but every now and then, she’ll throw it back in a look that magically combines both. That’s what she did earlier this afternoon when she stepped out in New York wearing a heather grey tracksuit that felt like a modern, grown-up take on the bubblegum-pink Juicy Couture velour separates she made famous in her 2001 music video, “I’m Real.” Lopez’s sweats were trimmed in a metallic side stripe, which elongated the silhouette and added a diva-appropriate touch of shine. She kept the tone-on-tone message going with silver mirrored shades and suede ankle booties with exposed zippers. The choice of shoe felt more sophisticated than a sneaker, and she took that idea and ran with it by carrying her trusty  Hermès Birkin  instead of a gym tote. See this week’s best dressed celebrities:

Meet the Anti-Bridezilla Wedding Dress Designer

If I were to get married, I like to think I’d be a nontraditional bride. When it happens, I want to get the job done and sign on the dotted line. The dress, in a way, comes second. No fluff, no princess pouf, no fairy-tale wedding necessary. Maybe my aversion to traditional bridalwear is a genetic trait: My mother got married in a chic white pantsuit back in 1978. (She later got divorced in a pantsuit, but that’s another story.) The idea of a puffed-up dress seems frightening. Can a person even move in one of those clouds of hefty tulle? What happens if you spill red wine on a charmeuse number? It also seems like a lot of fabric for a six-hour (or less) occasion. (And a lot of money: Some dresses cost as much as a new car.)
But call me a changed woman, because during Bridal Week, I went to an appointment that I genuinely enjoyed: the debut collection of Danielle Frankel. The modest room tucked into the 11 Howard hotel was filled with minimalist, even tomboyish looks, such as a romantic shirtdress, delicately embroidered slips, and body-hugging pantsuits. Originally from Los Angeles and now based in New York, Frankel first cut her teeth at Marchesa. Later, she went to Vera Wang, where she worked as a designer for the bridal and made-to-order departments. Despite working at two labels that have built their brands on megawatt, down-the-aisle dresses, Frankel doesn’t consider herself a wedding dress designer. “Bridal is a dirty word!” says Frankel. “I’m not a bridal person, and I don’t like bridal. I don’t feel like it’s my industry. I feel like I’ve worked in the fashion industry and I’m just doing bridal—whatever that means to me—and that is why I feel like I am responding this way.”
Frankel’s response is a sleek approach with a bit of boyish flair. The shirtdress was cut so that it ever-so-slightly slouched off the shoulders. (Fun fact: Frankel wore the style to her own wedding.) Another standout was a dress that boasted leg-of-mutton sleeves of cool Dynasty proportions. Some of the accompanying pieces, like a long white silk jacket, could act as dresses in themselves for free-thinking brides. And those free-thinking brides wouldn’t have to dig too deep to buy a piece from Frankel: Her price range is about $3,000 upwards, less than most high-end wedding labels.
Frankle’s relaxed sensibility revolves around options and choices, as well as another idea that is on trend now: Rewearing a wedding dress long after the celebration. “If I’m really doing this, I have to make these pieces wearable outside of the collection,” she says. For example: “There is a skirt with a corset in it that I want our PR to send to a celebrity to wear.” Speaking of celebrities, Frankel’s ultimate woman to dress is the definition of cool: Zoë Kravitz. “She’s the right amount of yin and yang.” Sounds like a look and a concept I can finally say “I do” to.

Comments